Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honestly is the Best Policy



If you regularly read this blog, you know that from time-to-time, I feel compelled to 'come clean', (no pun intended).

Today is one of those days where my conscience is weighing heavily with the truth. The guilt is getting to me! And - since it's almost Mother's Day - I think it's best to be honest. So here goes.

I happily admit that the original all-time, best-ever, cleaner-upper-organizer-decorator-juggler-of-all things, hard-working-professional, who never stops 'doing', cape-wearing-superwoman, is NOT me. It's my mama!

Yup! All the credit goes to her. She's the one who taught me the basics. Which, if you know me, you'll catch me saying, "the basics are always the classics"! They are - and she is.

How she ever "did it all", I'll never know. But she did, (pssst, she still does!)

Here's the truth:

My Mom was a busy professional who had a full time job before I was born (ahem!) in the late 50's. While many of my friends had 'stay-at-home' moms, mine was out the door before I got up to go to school!

In the mid-60's my father started his own business. Many evenings (after her 'regular' job), Mom would get dinner on the table, (she's a fabulous cook), had the dishes done (I had to dry - hated it!), then be at the kitchen table balancing the books for my Dad's new venture. To top it off, on many weekends she'd round us up and we'd head to my grandparent's home - the family farm - to do what was needed.

But that's not all, because somehow, with everything else mom did she miraculously turned our house into a beautiful home. It was a special place to grow up. A picture-perfect, middle class, All-American home that was lovingly cared for by both of my hard-working parents.

My multi-tasking master Mom literally taught me everything I know about keeping a home - and that home ownership also came with responsibility. I knew I was fortunate to grow up where I did, that we were lucky to have a roof over our heads and that all of it happened because of a lot of hard work.

Also, she taught me that having and maintaining a home is a lot more than the sum of it's contents. It's the family that lives within and the memories made.  It's the laughter - and tears too -that make it 'perfect' - no matter if you own your home or not!

Who knew back then that all those years spent cleaning, cooking, doing the laundry and the ironing, the canning, sewing, and gardening - all with some major eye-rolling from me, (Kate came by that naturally!), would eventually prime me for a career that I love.

So, as Mother's Day approaches, I'm thinking a lot about my Mom, how much I owe her and how much I love her. 

Thank's Mom for everything. Because of you I can share what you gave me. I love what I do. I love you.

What a gift. 

XO




2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day. You obviously have a brilliant mom and you obviously are one, too. *Love*

    ReplyDelete
  2. so touching! it's so funny how life's early lessons can unknowingly prepare us for what's in store.

    dayka

    ReplyDelete